|Rashelle Johnson (Author), M. Anderson (Author)|
The following topics are covered in this helpful book:
- Why you should be raising backyard chickens.
- The big differences between commercial eggs and the fresh eggs you get from backyard chickens.
- The handful of supplies you need to get started.
- Designing a coop.
- Feeding and watering your chickens. Includes tutorials on how to build an inexpensive waterer and feeder.
- The various types of bedding.
- The deep litter system of bedding.
- Free-range chickens.
- Breed selection for laying and meat birds.
- Feeding your chickens.
- What diatomaceous earth is and how it can benefit you.
- Predator control.
- Brooding chicks. How to hatch chicks and raise them to adulthood.
- Chicken laws and ordinances.
The information provided for each breed of chicken includes the following:
- How loud they are.
- How many eggs they can be expected to lay.
- How much they cost.
- Health concerns.
- Other information you need to know.