Google+ Organic Gardens Network™: Stir-Fried Cabbage with Red Chile Peppers, Peanuts & Peas

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Stir-Fried Cabbage with Red Chile Peppers, Peanuts & Peas

by Organic Gardening

If turmeric is the mother of all herbs, cabbage is the mother of all vegetables. It’s always been here for us, getting us through good times and bad. Cook this crunchy, flavorful dish as described here or barely cook it and serve it as a coleslaw substitute. Most everyone who eats this finds it addictive.

Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons canola oil (I use olive or macadamia oil)
*1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
* 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
* 3 dried red chile peppers
* 2 cups toasted unsalted peanuts
* 1 (3 1/2 pound) head of cabbage, cored and finely chopped
* 2 cups frozen peas
* 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste

Directions

1. Heat the canola oil with the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and chile peppers in a large pot or wok over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chiles become smoky (about 3 minutes).

2.
Add the peanuts and cook for 2 minutes, to brown them slightly and heat them up.

3.
Add one-half of the cabbage and all of the peas; stir to combine with the herbs. When, after about 2 minutes, the cabbage starts to wilt, stir in the remaining cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until the volume has reduced by one-third and the cabbage looks somewhat browned around the edges (about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on your pot or wok). Mix in the salt and serve warm or at room temperature.

Serves 10

3 comments:

  1. After seeing this recipe I could not wait to give it a try. I went out the next day bought all the ingredients I needed and prepared the recipe exactly. I did not add anything extra nor did I subtract from the ingredients. It was not what I was expecting or had my taste buds ready for, it was not all that great. My husband took one bite and said that was enough, I had a few bites and threw out the rest (a very large bowl of it.) I loved the peanuts, peas, cabbage, chili's and the turmeric was good on it however the cumin seeds gave it an odd taste or should I say bad taste. I am going to make this dish again without the cumin seeds and I will let you know what I think. DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeeDee ~ Please do let us know if you like it better without the cumin seeds. We found it delicious as written. However, everyone has different taste preferences.

    If you find another variation when you cook this again, please do share. Others may also enjoy your variation.

    I hope you can enjoy the dish on your second try, and thanks for giving it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish is great! I have made it several times so far and everybody in my family loves it. However, I heat the oil with the cumin seeds, turmeric, chile peppers together with peanuts, and only for about a minute or so, otherwise it tends to burn. And I don't use as much chili - 3 chili peppers would be way too hot for me.

    Thank you so much for this superb recipe! Who says vegan food can't taste great?

    DeeDee - if you don't like cumin, you should probably reduce the amount of turmeric too - I think they have similar taste. But if you skip turmeric altogether the dish won't have the pretty yellow color, so you might want to use at least some.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...