Sunday, January 1, 2012
Soupy Sunday: Curried Yellow Split-Pea Soup
Serves: 8; Prep: 40 min; Cook: 2 hr 20 min; Total: 3 hr 0 min
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup dried yellow split peas
1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
Pinch of ground black pepper
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup chopped dill sprigs
1. In a 3- or 4-quart saucepan, combine the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, oil, and 1 tablespoon of water. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, or until softened but not browned. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute longer.
2. Add 8 cups water and the split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours, or until the split peas are tender and the soup has thickened. (Add additional liquid if the soup gets too thick.)
3. Add the green peas, bell pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste. Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt and dill.
5. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and top each with a dollop of the yogurt mixture.
Nutritional Facts per serving: Calories 127.5cal; Fat 2.4g; Saturated Fat 0.5g; Cholesterol 2mg; Sodium 328.6mg; Carbohydrates 20.5g; Total Sugars 3.5g; Dietary Fiber 8.5g; Protein 6.6g.
Brought to you by the Rodale Healthy Recipe Finder.
Posted at 11:10 AM