- 1 small green cabbage (Savoy works well), thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped (leave the peel on for extra fiber and iron)
- 1 cup French green lentils (I used truRoots sprouted green lentils which I found at Costco), rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice or other hearty grain (I used TruRoots germinated Gaba rice from Costco), uncooked and rinsed
- 1 cube of Rapunzel vegetable bouillon with sea salt and herbs (optional)
- 6-8 cups of water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion and potato and cook for a few minutes. Add the cabbage, water, bouillon cube (or 1 tsp sea salt), lentils, and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the lentils and rice are fully cooked*. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
Note: If you use the sprouted lentils and germinated rice, this soup should be ready in about 30 minutes. Other grains or regular rice will take a little longer.
This soup is loaded with protein, iron, vitamin C, and fiber courtesy of the lentils. Serve it with warm bread to make your mouth extra happy on a cold night!
Recipe and photo brought to you by Allison at Get Natured.