"After twenty years of biotech bullying and force-feeding unlabeled and hazardous genetically engineered (GE) foods to animals and humans, a critical mass of food and health activists has decided it's time to move beyond small skirmishes and losing battles and go on the offensive. It's time to move the food fight over labeling GE food from the unfavorable terrain of Washington D.C. and Capital Hill, where Monsanto and Food Inc. exercise near-dictatorial control, to California, the heartland of organic food and farming and anti-GMO sentiment, where 80-85% of the body politic, according to recent polls, support mandatory labeling."
~ Ronnie Cummins, OCA National Director, "The California Ballot Initiative: Standing Up to Monsanto" October 6, 2010
- California is poised to be the first state with mandatory GMO labeling laws through the 2012 California Ballot Initiative process.
- Polls show support to get this initiative on the ballot & voted in. Over 80% of those polled supported mandatory labeling.
- A win for the California Initiative would be a huge blow to biotech and a huge victory for food activists.
- Monsanto and their minions have billions invested in GMOs and they are willing to spend millions to defeat this initiative.
- California is the 8th largest economy in the world. Labeling laws in CA will effect packaging and ingredient decisions nation-wide.
- The bill has been carefully written to ensure that it will not increase costs to consumers or producers.
California Ballot Initiative: Standing Up to Monsanto
Why We Should Label GE Food
Support Current Pending State Laws to Label GE Foods
Action Alert: Tell Your Grocers: We Want GMOs and Factory Farm Products Labeled
World Food Day, October 16, 2011 – Join With the Millions Against Monsanto